Friday, November 23, 2012

DIY PROJECT #1: Straw hat w/ Ribbon Accents


The inspiration of this hat is from Ms. Laureen Uy. When I saw it on her blog I thought that it would be a perfect accessory for the beach or simply walking under the sun. However, upon seeing the price in the store, nga-nga.It was a bit expensive for me. Considering that I will not wear it often and it is not in my list of priorities. So, I bid that hat a goodbye. :(

Then, one weekend, my mom bought a hat which she will use for her beach trip. It was affordable but it was so plain. Good thing I saw some ribbons while cleaning the house. (These ribbons were leftovers from my Tita's flowershop.) So, I thought, I can make this work!:)

MATERIALS:
Ribbons | A straw hat | Scissors & needle | Scotch tape (no picture) | Lots of TIME :)


HOW I DID IT :)
1) I used the ribbon as a "thread" to the needle.
2) I used the normal 'running stitch' as my first pattern.
3) tip: Use the needle to slightly widen the hole before inserting the ribbon.
4) On the second layer of the design, I realized that it is easier to measure first the circumference of the hat, and cutting the ribbon according to it. (Instead of not cutting the ribbon, and the whole thing goes with you).
5) I developed a blister on my pointer finger, so I made an improvised 'needle' using scotch tape. 
6) All you need you need to do is cover the edge of the ribbon with scotch tape. 
7) I wasn't supposed to cover the edge of the hat with ribbon, but the edges look a bit untidy.So, I used 'satin stitch' to cover it up.
8) Just insert the ribbon when you reach the end.
9) My hat is almost done! :)

SUGGESTIONS:
1) Pick a hat that has larger holes.
2) Sketch your design first. Be creative! :)
3) Make sure the ribbons you have,can achieve the design you want. (In my case, the light blue ribbon is thick for the running stitch.I had a hard time with it because the ribbbon keeps on folding in half.)
4) Make sure your hands are clean.
5) If you have sweaty hands, make sure you have a cloth nearby to wipe the sweat off. (Just to keep the hat clean..;) )
6) I made this for 4 nights. So if you have more time, then good for you! ;)


I love how it stands out :)
Hope you like it as much as I do!
I am now thinking of other ways to use the ribbons. Any suggestions? :)

9 comments:

  1. Very creative! I must say Laureen's style is indeed, also very inspirational :) And your hat now is very sensational! Naks!

    Love it! :) You look great with it.

    ~Chai
    http://chenmeicai.blogspot.com
    http://lookbook.nu/chenmeicai
    http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/2957855
    http://www.nuffnangx.com/user/hJK222B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute DIY! I love colors and the hat looks great a bit more colorful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. woooow... very artistic!! i hope i have that artistic hand like yours :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this DIY PROJECT!! I WILL TRY THIS SUMMER ;)


    JOIN GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG!! <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...